Sunday, October 07, 2007

Kaapi Cat ?

Sometimes, I hear a distinct "ringing" noise from my kitchen, and I know its my roommate. He would be clenching his coffee mug in one hand, and a spoon in another, and would be lost in vigorous convulsions trying to "froth" away his coffee - as if its a sacred ritual to appease his taste buds :). Did I mention before that this roommate of mine is absolutely obsessed with Coffee ? So much so that I think he might kill me one day if I keep him away from his daily dose of coffee ..hee hee! Sorry roomie !

As is typical of all people from Singaara-Chennai, I seem to be an exception. Ironically, over the years, I have developed a sense of dislike for Coffee (or Tea ... or any caffeinated drink for that matter). My better-half tells me that I am always on a "high" .... so I figured I could spare spiking myself every morning with an extra shot of caffeine :). Thank you my "Sivappu Thalai"! Anyways, so I usually have Postum (which btw I have also started to slowly dislike), which is a coffee substitute. Today evening, I took the liberty of having my hot beverage the "traditional way". You take two tumblers with your drink in them, and pour it back and forth between them - its not as easy as it sounds, as you have to have to aim it into the other tumbler from yay high ...to make it frothy. It was an age old tradition (and still is in vogue) - before the latte machines with hissing steam took over.
I saw my roomie's eye brighten up - he could add a new twist to his coffee making ritual today!! So 15 minutes and a frothy cup of postum later, I found him performing gymnastics with his drink in the kitchen - a classic case of Kaappi Cat !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.