Monday, August 20, 2007

Getting Noticed !

Wow ! I never imagined that my first entry in this blog would evoke such a controversy that I would have six responses, one "kudo" via chat, and some extra attention from my better half. I would like to conveniently ignore the fact that two of the responses were from "Little Miss Sunshine", two from my roommate who yielded to my threats, one from myself, and one reluctantly posted comment from a friend who lives across the street (it was more of a question actually... she deleted the comment as soon as she found out the answer). I would have persuaded the reluctant person to re-post to comment, even though she received her answer (through some divine oracle who is waging a war against my blog), but then I remembered that I was the one who made her read my blogs in the first place, so she was spared (although, she can still post if she is reading this, and takes pity on me).

I must say it was a busy day for me, taking responsibility for my blog entry and all that. I just did not imagine that it would be such a big deal. Before I know, I have yielded to the irresistible temptation of writing another entry. By the way for all budding bloggers out there, I have a few tricks up my sleeve that I would like to share to make your blog a roaring success like mine:
  1. Always put a link to your blog on your IM status message. That darned thing is the best advertisement you can get for your blog. Its an immensely underestimated real-estate. Why does it work ? Well, fellow chat members who are online all day are just like you - sitting idle in front of their computer waiting for something wonderful to happen in their lives ! Give them something exciting - your meaningless rantings on your blog that will make them feel that they are not alone.("I see blog-people !!!")
  2. When you chat with your friends, casually send them a link to your blog. 'cause if they are chatting with you, they better pay you back for your valuable time. Don't give away too much information - send the link and vanish for a few hours. That will motivate them to write comments ! Score!
  3. If you have a girlfriend (then why are you blogging ?), send her links to your blog. In my case, my better-half provides me mental, spiritual, emotional and ....online support. Even if she is working, brighten up her day by sending over your wise-crack comments over the blog. I am sure she would love to hear how smart you are, and give you that extra attention (hey .. it worked for me !).
  4. Roommates are your best shot if everything else fails (or you are single). In my case, my roommate(s) are up pretty late every night surfing uncharted territories of the Internet. We have found a new way to communicate with each other in the same house (other than phone calls, IMs) - BLOGS. We have realized that its a good team building measure, and our brotherhood has become stronger ever since. And don't wait for tomorrow. Yell out about your new blog entry as soon as you are done writing it. After all, they are your roommates, and should be the first ones to know, if you are getting married and getting out of the apartment, or if you have posted a new entry on your blog.
  5. If nothing works out, and you want to make yourself feel good, check on your blog entry every hour or so throughout the day. By the end of the day, your "profile views" count will exceed 12 ! You then know that it was a productive day, and that you worked hard for your blog.
I hope my loyal blog readers will not be discouraged from reading my blog entries after reading this - I know I am an attention seeking nuisance, but hey ! you have to give me credit for my honesty. I would not be offended if my friends block me on their IMs after reading this ! And to my friend across the street: "Please re-post that comment before you block me for life after this."

3 comments:

Raj said...

At last! Now that I have gotten tips from a fellow "budding" blogger, I think I can start writing my own blogs and be successful with it! :P

Anonymous said...

I think if you spent more time with Little Miss Sunshine, especially in person, you wouln't have to go on and on bugging everyone with your pathetic blogging posts. My apologies everyone but please keep him entertained by roping him into your blogs and posting comments on his. Hee hee! (I'm just pulling your legs Madhu!) Little Miss Sunshine is glad to see you're putting your free time to good use!

Neeraja said...

I'm sure your friend across the street would post a comment soon! After all she increased your profile views by +1, by visiting your blog again to delete the comment! Another way to increase your views...post and delete, repost... :)